Best handheld vacuum cleaner for stairs of 2018 & Buying Guide
Your main vacuum cleaner probably does a great job cleaning large rugs or rooms with wall-to-wall carpeting. However, because of its size and weight it is not an ideal appliance when you need to vacuum the stairs or some other places that are hard to reach with a big and bulky appliance. This is when handheld vacuum cleaners can be especially helpful. They are great for cleaning stairs and quick messes. This review will introduce you to some of the best handheld vacuum cleaners for stairs available on the market.
Black + Decker CHV1410L
Midea Eureka EasyClean
Dirt Devil Scorpion SD20005RED
Dyson V6 Trigger
Black + Decker HNV215B10
Should I buy a cordless or corded handheld vacuum cleaner for stairs?
The answer to this question depends on two main factors: convenience and the location of the stairs in your home.
If you want maximum convenience, you should get a cordless handheld vacuum cleaner for stairs because when using one you won’t have to deal with any cords. You simply grab your handheld vacuum cleaner, use it to clean the stairs or some other surface and you are done. You don’t have to think about where to plug the cleaner or how far you are from an electric outlet.
It is possible that the stairs in your home are located far away from electric outlets. In this case, a cordless vacuum cleaner is also a great choice because you won’t need any extension cords.
However, if you want to make sure that you never run out of power when using your handheld vacuum cleaner for stairs, then a corded cleaner will be a great choice.
How long do cordless handheld vacuum cleaners for stairs last on a single charge?
Typically, cordless vacuums hold charge for up to 20 minutes of continuous operation. After that you will need to recharge the vacuum for about an hour. Specific numbers will depend on the model that you buy.
How do I charge a cordless handheld vacuum cleaner for stairs?
Depending on a model, your vacuum will either come with a base that you will need to plug it into or a cord that you plug directly into an electric outlet.
If I buy a corded handheld vacuum cleaner for stairs, how long should the cord be?
Corded vacuums usually have cords that are 10-20 feet long. The length of the cord doesn’t really matter because if you need a longer cord, you can always get a cord extension.
How easy are handheld vacuum cleaners to maintain?
Handheld vacuums are extremely easy to maintain. Many models are bagless, which means that you will be able to open the vacuum, clean the dust-collecting section and resume vacuuming without having to invest in vacuum cleaner bags. Most models have filters that you can change without any hassles, too.
What features of a handheld vacuum cleaner for stairs should I pay attention to?
Here are some of the features that you want to consider before you decide on a handheld vacuum cleaner for stairs that’s right for you:
– Light weight. While a difference of a few pounds may not seem like much when you are comparing different models of vacuums while reading a buyer’s guide or looking at the manufacturer’s specifications, you will feel this difference when using the vacuum. Models that weigh more than 5 pounds will most likely feel very heavy after just a few minutes of use. Most models in this review weigh around 4 pounds. Some are as light as 2.2 pounds.
– Filter. Buying a handheld vacuum with a filter is important because the filter will prevent dirt and dust from re-entering the air of your home after you clean it. Some models have reusable washable filters while others have non-reusable filters. For non-reusable filters, follow the instructions by the manufacturer as to how often you should replace the filter.
– Clear waste container. A clear waste container is a small, yet very important feature. Because handheld vacuums tend to be small, waste containers are also small compared to the containers in full-size vacuums. For this reason, you want to be able to see how full the waste container in your handheld vacuum is and having a clear container allows you to do just that.
Brushes, hoses and attachments. Some handheld vacuums come with motorized brushes that are extremely convenient for cleaning carpet fibers and other fabrics. A hose may be useful in reaching tight spaces without trying to fit the entire vacuum into them. Finally, if you plan on cleaning not just the stairs in your home, but also a number of other places and surfaces, then attachments such as crevice tools and dusters can come very handy.
Top 5 Products Reviews
1. Black + Decker CHV1410L
Black + Decker CHV1410L is a great cordless handheld vacuum cleaner for quick cleanups. It uses lithium technology that allows it to hold charge for up to 18 months, which means that this vacuum cleaner will be ready for you whenever you need it. Lithium technology has a number of advantages over other batteries. It offers higher energy density, is non-toxic and has no memory effect, meaning that you will not have to discharge the battery fully before recharging it.
- Holds charge for up to 18 months
- Lightweight at just 3.8 pounds
- Cyclonic action system keeps the filter clean
- Removable washable filter
- Removable washable translucent dust collector
- The vacuum comes with a charging station
- The charging station automatically shuts off when the vacuum is fully charged
- The vacuum comes with several multi-surface cleaning attachments
- The power of the vacuum may not be enough to get all the pet hairs out of the upholstery
This is a great vacuum cleaner to occasionally clean up hard-to-reach areas in your home. It holds charge for a long time and comes with several attachments. Its power may not be strong enough for harder jobs.
2. Dirt Devil Scorpion SD20005RED
This corded handheld vacuum has a powerful 7 amp motor that great for cleaning up tough messes in your workshop, car or house. This model has a Quick Flip crevice tool that works great when you need to clean hard-to-reach spaces.
- Powerful 7 amp motor
- Long 16-foot power cord
- Bagless design that will save you money in the long run
- No need to worry about running out of battery power
- Lightweight at only 3.8 pounds
- Great vacuum for a car if you have a power source nearby
- Picks up pet litter well
- Vibrant red color
- Very comfortable handle
- Does not have a car plug
- The filter clogs up quickly
- The cord may tangle
- The brush breaks easily if you press the vacuum too hard
- Very loud
If you are looking for a powerful handheld vacuum and don’t mind it having a cord, then this is a vacuum for you. It is very strong, lightweight, easy to clean and has a fold-down part that is very handy when cleaning areas that are hard to reach.
3. Black + Decker HNV215B10
This vacuum is very lightweight, yet it has a lot of power. It does a great job picking dirt off the floor, including pet litter, crumbs and other particles. It has a translucent dirt bowl, so you will be able to easily see when the bowl is getting full and you need to empty it. Both the bowl and the filter are washable. You can mount the base of this vacuum to the wall and save space on your desk or table.
- Powerful suction
- Cordless, portable and easy to use
- Holds a charge for a long time
- The vacuum has parts that are easy to clean
- Picks up pet hair well
- You need to hold the ON button to operate the vacuum. This may be inconvenient if you need to clean for a prolonged period of time.
A very simple yet extremely powerful model with great suction. You will need to hold the “ON” button while operating this vacuum. The entire body of the vacuum is transparent. Both of the last two factors can be a pro or a con depending on your preferences. If you like to have to hold a button to operate a vacuum and like seeing all the dirt accumulating inside, letting you know when you should empty and clean the vacuum, then this is a model for you.
4. Midea Eureka EasyClean
This corded vacuum has a riser visor designed specifically for cleaning the stairs and upholstery. The vacuum has a motor that delivers 5.5 amps of power. There is a separate motor for the revolving brush. The cord is extremely long at 20 feet. It also easily wraps for storage. Overall, this vacuum has 23-foot reach system.
- Corded vacuum a 23-foot reach system
- Two motors, one of which rotates the brush
- Riser visor for cleaning the stairs
- Onboard crevice tool
- Washable dust cup
- Convenient cord wrap at the back of the vacuum
- Fingertip controls
- Clear plastic dust cup
- Weighs 4.8 pounds, which is more than many other handheld vacuums
- The vacuum may overheat at times
This vacuum has been specifically designed for cleaning the stairs and upholstery. It has two motors and a unique riser visor that stays down when you are cleaning horizontal surfaces and lifts up when you need to vacuum vertical parts of the stairs. The riser visor allows you to control the actions of the brush rolls. When cleaning in the horizontal position, most of the action occurs in the bottom side of the nozzle. In a vertical position the action happens in the top side, which allows this vacuum to remove even the deeply-embedded dirt from the vertical parts of the stair carpets.
5. Dyson V6 Trigger
This cordless vacuum has been ergonomically designed, meaning that its center of gravity is located towards the grip of the vacuum, which makes this model very easy to handle. It has a very powerful Dyson V6 digital motor and cyclones that improve airflow and capture an increased number of dust particles. This V6 version is more powerful than its predecessors. It has a power button that increases the power of the motor. This is very handy when the motor is not doing a perfect job and you feel that it needs more suction. There is also a charge indicator that will let you know how much battery charge you have left. There are two attachments with come with this model, including a brush.
- Extremely powerful
- You can gather a collection of attachments for all kinds of needs
- Convenient for frequent use
- A great vacuum for a car or an SUV
- Up to 20 minutes of suction
- Increased power mode
- Hygienic bin emptying
- Emptying the bin is very simple. All you have to do is press one button that opens the bottom of the vaccum.
- Fade-free battery
- Size of the dust container
- Can be hard to clean
- Sliding mechanism that is supposed to release the bin may get stuck
This is a remarkable vacuum because it is extremely powerful, lightweight, ergonomically designed and easy to use. It cleans even the toughest spots and stains. It does a great job at picking pet hair and pet litter. If you feel that you are not getting enough power in regular mode, there’s always a max power mode that provides up to six minutes of increased suction on a single charge.
Before you choose a handheld vacuum cleaner for stairs, think about your needs. If you have young children or pets, then go with a machine that has a very strong motor that will pick up pet hair and even the smallest particles. If you are looking to do occasional cleaning, then the weight of the vacuum may be more important to you than its power. Also, think about the location of power outlets in your home. If there’s an outlet next to all the areas that you plan to be cleaning, choosing a corded or cordless vacuum won’t make much of a difference. If, however, you don’t have many outlets in your home and some areas that you’d like to keep clean are not only hard to clean but also located far away from the electric outlets, then go with a cordless vacuum.