Best Under Cabinet Vacuums of 2018 & Buying Guide
If you’ve ever had to clean your entire house with a vacuum then you might recognize the stress and irritation that’s caused by trying to slide your vacuum cleaner underneath your cabinets.
In fact, many vacuums have such thick heads that they simply can’t reach underneath a cabinet. You’ll either have to clean it manually or move the cabinet to get underneath it.
This is impractical, time consuming, and overall, annoying. There are better solutions to this problem. The first solution you might consider is buying a vacuum cleaner that’s capable of reaching underneath your cabinet. But this will require a bit of research and possibly bringing a measuring tape around with you for a bit.
Dyson V6 Animal Cord-free Vacuum
Dirt Devil Simpli Stik SD2000
Shark Rocket Ultra-Light Upright Vacuum
How do I choose a vacuum that’s good for cleaning under cabinets?
The main thing that you really have to be concerned about is the measurements that you’re going to need. There isn’t a specific type of vacuum that’s intended for getting under vacuums – you’re still going to have to choose between one of the typical types of vacuum cleaner.
However, there are better chances that some types will have commonly available models that can reach under your cabinet.
- Upright vacuums are the most difficult to get underneath a cabinet, simply because the vacuum head is often so big and bulky. The vacuum head is big because the rest of the unit is big, since upright vacuums are made to clean powerfully.
- Upright vacuums have the strongest suction out of any type of vacuum because they are simply big enough to hold a larger engine. This makes them more difficult to store but ultimately a better choice for cleaning hardwood floors.
- Many upright vacuums come packed with a number of cleaning tools that allow you to access areas that you otherwise wouldn’t be able to. Many of these tools can easily reach underneath a cabinet.
- Canister vacuums might be the best choice for someone hoping to clean underneath a cabinet, though they aren’t always the best choice for cleaning your entire house. If you have a house with stairs, canister vacuums are also a good idea because they can be easily lifted.
- The nozzle head of a canister vacuum is typically quite thin. You’re much more likely to find a suitable canister vacuum than a stand up vacuum for getting underneath your cabinet, though both types certainly have models available.
- Canister vacuums typically also come packaged with some attachments to allow you to clean difficult areas.
- If you have a house with many different types of flooring you may want to stick with an upright vacuum that has attachments for you to reach under cabinets. Uprights are usually more versatile.
- Handheld vacuums are also a great option, particularly if you have another vacuum cleaner already and you don’t want to make a huge expense just to clean under your cabinet. Handheld vacuums don’t boast nearly the same suction power as any of the other types of vacuums, but if you’re just using them for this one simple task, that’s fine.
- Handheld vacuums sometimes come with detachable hoses. These would be ideal for cleaning under cabinets.
- Many handheld vacuums are cordless and battery powered, which would be very useful for people who just need them for a quick cleanup underneath their cabinets. This means there’s no more tripping over tangled cords.
What else should I look for in a vacuum when cleaning carpets?
There are a couple main features that you can choose to buy or not to buy with your vacuum.
The most vital features that you’d want to decide on if you need to clean under your cabinets would be the following.
A good filtration system is ideal for cleaning under cabinets because there’s often tons of dust stored under there, particularly if you’ve been unable to clean under your cabinet for quite some time.
There are many types of filters that you can purchase or that come preinstalled in your vacuum.
- HEPA (high energy particulate air) filters are considered the best in the industry. Most reasonably priced mid-range vacuums come with HEPA filters in them. They are able to remove the most dust from any area and filter it out before the air is released back into the room.
- Remember not all HEPA vacuums are the same. Many come with improperly sealed gaskets. If the gasket is not sealed properly then the filter is not able to catch all the air that’s sucked into the vacuum and is more likely to spit some unfiltered air back into the room, full of dust and allergens.
- Foam and cloth filters are a heck of a lot cheaper and a heck of a lot less effective than HEPA filters. However, if you don’t have allergies and keep your house fairly clean then there’s no read to splurge on the price of a brand new HEPA vacuum just to clean under your cabinets.
You’ll also want to consider where the vents on your vacuum are placed. Many vacuums place them on the bottom, near the front, which can make it difficult to clean under a cabinet. The air will just blow all the dirt and dust around making it difficult to suck.
Some filter-conscious vacuums put the air vents near the top so they don’t interfere with the dirt or dust on the ground.
You may also want to invest in a vacuum with LED headlights. These allow you to see ahead of the vacuum into dark areas that would otherwise be impossible to accurately clean – such as underneath your cabinets.
You may also not even need to buy a new vacuum. If you already have one, look to see if the manufacturers sell attachments for their vacuums. Maybe all you’ll need is a detachable hose unit or a crevice tool to allow you to suck dust out of those tight spaces under your cabinet.
So what are the best vacuums for cleaning under cabinets?
There is no specific type of vacuum that exceeds at cleaning carpets, but there are certainly some models that excel.
We have done a lot of research and reviews and concluded that the following vacuums are the best for cleaning under cabinets, while retaining a good level of versatility so they can be used around the house.
Best Under Cabinet Vacuums Reviews
1. Hoover UH72400 WindTunnel Bagless Vacuum Cleaner Review
Hoover is often considered one of the best brands for making vacuum cleaners, ad that’s because their products are consistently reliable. They also are a very innovative company, as shown in this particular unit thanks to the use of its WindTunnel technology.
The Wind Tunnel system allows for different cyclonic suction than you typically find in other vacuums. This allows the user to have a more complete control over the area they’re cleaning as well as a decreased risk of leaving dust around.
This unit uses an electronic brush that subtly sweeps the floor beneath no matter what type it is. This ensures that any dirt left behind on your initial suction will be sucked up quickly after.
This is a very lightweight vacuum that’s also quite easy to store compared to other standup vacuums – it’s only six inches wide. This makes it easy to move around your house and easy to take up stairs.
The small size also makes it ideal for cleaning in tight areas such as underneath your cabinets or between other types of furniture.
2.Shark Rocket Ultra-Light Upright Vacuum Review
If you’re looking for a lightweight unit then you’ll be glad that you didn’t stop reading at the last product. This unit – as suggested by its name – is an extremely light vacuum and it’s great because it has a huge amount of versatility to it.
Since the unit is so light you can reach all areas of your house – regardless of whether they’re on the floor. You can use this unit to clean furniture and even to suck dust off of hard to reach areas on your ceiling where dust bunnies like to live. Thanks to the small size and versatility of this unit, it slides very easily underneath cabinets.
Another great aspect of this vacuum is the fact that there’s an LED light on the front. This allows you to illuminate areas that would otherwise be very difficult to see, so you can ensure all the dust and grime is gone before you stop cleaning.
This unit is made to handle both hardwood floors and carpets with ease. The head can be removed for access to tight spaces and there are many attachments included in it so you can really access everywhere quite easily.
3. Dyson V6 Animal Cord-free Vacuum Review
It only makes sense that we’d include a Dyson model here, since they’re pretty much the outstanding vacuum maker. They have models for cleaning up ever perceivable mess of either wet or dry origin, and this particular unit is great for getting underneath cabinets.
Just because it’s advertised as an animal vacuum doesn’t mean its use is restricted to cleaning up pet debris. This unit is a very powerful vacuum that, despite being battery operated, is capable of cleaning up pretty much every type of mess.
Like the previous model, the head can be taken off this vacuum. This easily adjustable change makes this unit great for cleaning furniture, upholstery, and for reaching underneath those pesky cabinets.
If your cabinet space is still too tight you can make use of the crevice tool. That’ll be thin enough to get you underneath even the smallest cabinets. There are many other attachments included that make it easy to clean all sorts of areas.
4.Dirt Devil Simpli Stik SD2000 Lightweight Corded Stick Vacuum Bagless
If you’re hoping for a versatile all around vacuum for a good price then this is your best bet. The dirt devil has a very thin head which allows you to reach under the tightest cabinets, though it’s not very long.
Fortunately to combat that, this vacuum can be switched into a handheld model. It also contains a utility vacuum option. All of this combines to make this vacuum very usable on all sorts of surfaces that couldn’t be reached by a typical vacuum.
This vacuum is not very powerful and the cord is not very long. You will have to switch outlets when you change rooms and possibly even in the same room. However, the vacuum is so lightweight and affordable that these factors aren’t really a huge concern for someone who’s just looking for a moderate use vacuum that can get under cabinets easily.
So which one’s the best?
The Dyson Animal Cleaner wins this round. Dyson always seems to win. This unit is a good example of the way Dyson can blend power, function, and fashion into a small unit, and keep the price reasonable.
While this unit excels at cleaning pet hair that many other vacuums struggle with, that doesn’t mean you should discredit it for cleaning other types of debris. It’s got a powerful motor that doesn’t easily clog, and it can handle all sorts of different masses.