Best Vacuum Cleaner For Carpet of 2018 & Buying Guide
If you’re buying a new vacuum cleaner, it’s going to be a very interesting process. You can’t simply go and buy the ‘best vacuum cleaner.’ That simply doesn’t exist. The best vacuum cleaner for a hardwood floor is not going to be the best vacuum for a carpet cleaner.
Fortunately, it’s easy enough to find a good vacuum cleaner for carpets if you do the right research. We’ve done that research for you.
If you’re looking for a quality vacuum cleaner, you’re going to have to search far and wide – unless you read our buying guide. We’re here to teach you what the best vacuums are for cleaning carpets.
Miele S7280 Jazz Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away Upright Vacuum
Hoover Vacuum Cleaner
So what should I look for in a vacuum cleaner for carpet?
There is not simply one kind of good vacuum cleaner. If you’re looking for a vacuum cleaner for cleaning carpet, there are a few things that you have to consider.
The first thing you’ll want to consider is the type of vacuum that you’re going to buy. There are several main types.
- Standup vacuums are the biggest type that you can buy. Standup vacuums are usually the ones that have the strongest vacuum and they’re ‘most capable of having a large suction power. This is because they have a huge amount of space that they can store their motors in.
- Standup vacuums are usually some of the best for cleaning carpets, but it’s important that you realize that you don’t need the same sort of suction as you would for hardwood floor. Most people think that you need incredible suction for a carpet, but actually, you don’t need a lot. You need reliable suction of a lower strength.
- Super strong vacuums are best for cleaning hard wood vacuum.
- Canister vacuums are great for cleaning carpets because they’re known for having reliable suction without being too strong. They’re also a lot lighter than standup vacuums, and they can be used for cleaning stairs and can be easily moved from room to room. Canister vacuums might be a good idea if you have multiple types of flooring to clean in your housing.
- Stick vacuums can be particularly useful if you’re living in a house with many different surfaces. This is because many stick vacuums are lightweight and able to be moved around very easily. A lot of stick vacuums are also detachable and can become handheld vacuums which are great for cleaning furniture and stairs. However, you’ll have to be sure that your stick vacuum is powerful enough to clean carpet.
What should I know when buying a vacuum for carpet?
Buying a vacuum for carpet is not the same as buying a carpet for a hardwood floor. You might think that a carpet will require more suction than a hardwood floor, but this isn’t always the case.
In fact, most of the time, sucking stuff off a hardwood floor requires more sucking power than it does to get it out of the carpet.The problem with a carpet is that things get stuck in it.
This is why people think they need a lot of suction, but this isn’t a good idea. Too much suction will just rip the hairs out of your carpet and leave you with a barren floor, and nobody wants that.
- It’s a good idea to get a vacuum with variable suction power. This way you can adjust the suction power depending on how dirty your carpet is, and also depending on how thick it is.
- Variable suction is great for people who live in houses with different types of flooring. It’s also great because it allows you to adjust the level of power so you don’t tear your carpet apart.
- Some vacuums have automatic suction adjustment. This is great, but is not always the best for people with carpets. These vacuums tend to make adjustments based on their immediate surroundings, and if they make adjustments based on a carpet, they may use too much suction.
Another thing that’s important when you’re buying a vacuum for carpet is the type of filter that is used. Not all vacuums use the same filters. Some are better at getting allergens out of the air, others are better for getting dust and particles. It’s important to know the difference between these types of filters because carpets can hold a lot more dust and many more allergens than a hardwood floor can.
- The best type of filter that is commonly used in a vacuum is known as a HEPA (high energy particulate air) filter.These filters must be able to eliminate 99.7% of particles bigger than 0.3 microns before they qualify as a HEPA filter. These are what you want if you’re vacuuming a carpet, especially if you haven’t cleaned it in a while, or if you have pets.
- There are other types of filters available, and they can be sufficient for cleaning carpets. However, if you have allergies or live in a house with animals, you should just get a HEPA filter.
- The alternative types of filters are mostly just cloth and foam filters. Neither of these will clear out as much dust and debris as HEPA filters, but they’re definitely a lot cheaper.
You should also consider the dirt collection system in your vacuum. You may know vacuums to only have one type – many people just remember vacuums having bags on them. There are other types of dirt collection, as well.
- Bagged vacuums aren’t always the best. It can be difficult to change a bag, and a lot of the time, when you’re emptying it, all the dust and dirt you’ve filtered out of your carpet will be released back into the air. This can be a nuisance and a health hazard.
- Some bagless vacuums also require that you replace the bags very often. This adds to the financial cost of your vacuum and also requires more work.
- Other vacuums use dirt collection systems, like dirt cups or canisters. These are often more reliable than bags and don’t need to be replaced. However, they can be tough to unscrew and empty.
- Some vacuums have hygienic dirt cup emptying systems. These basically allow you to push a button and eject the dirt into the trash so none of the allergens make their way into the air.
So what are the best vacuums for carpets?
Now that you know the difference between different types of vacuums, it’s a good time to start researching what you want. There are a ton of different options out there and it can be hard to choose between them.
Fortunately, we’ve reviewed a ton of vacuums that are all great for carpets. We’ve decided which ones are the best for general carpet cleaning.
Below, you’ll find the best vacuums for carpets. We hope you can make a solid decision based on our research!
Best Vacuum Cleaner For Carpet Reviews
1.Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away Upright Vacuum Review
Shark is one of the best vacuum brands for people cleaning carpets, particularly because of their unique lift-away feature. The lift-away feature basically allows you to switch the vacuum into a handheld unit by lifting it off the base, which makes it great for cleaning furniture and other surfaces.
These vacuums, however, still maintain the power and suction of an upright vacuum. They’re just as good at cleaning carpets as their competitors would be.
This vacuum is very accommodating as well, thanks to the swivel steering function. This allows you to turn the vacuum with the motion of your wrist, instead of having to use your body weight to turn the whole vacuum like many standups require of you.
This vacuum is particularly fantastic for people with carpets because it uses Anti-Allergen Complete Seal technology. This ensures that the HEPA filter is properly attached to the unit and there won’t be any emissions that could endanger your breathing air.
2. Dyson DC65 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner Review
Just because this vacuum is labeled as an animal cleaner doesn’t mean that you need to have animals to enjoy its power. This just means that it’s highly functional and can handle messes that most normal vacuums can’t.
On top of this, Dyson is one of the top vacuum makers, period. All of their vacuums exceed customer expectations and they use impressive technology.
This machine, in particular, is built to be more powerful than the average unit. DC65, as seen in the vacuum’s name, translates to 215 air watts. This is pretty impressive for a vacuum.
The best thing for cleaning carpets that this vacuum offers is the tangle-free turbine tool. It uses counter-rotating heads to ensure that you can clean hair (and dust and dirt) out of furniture as well as carpets and other types of floor.
As well as the tangle-free turbine tool, this vacuum also comes with a bunch of other tools. It’s got tools for cleaning stairs, gentle dusting brushes, tools for cleaning flat surfaces on furniture – all sorts of things.
3. Hoover Vacuum Cleaner Air Steerable WindTunnel Bagless Lightweight Corded Upright UH72400 Review
The Hoover brand is well known for their development of the WindTunnel technology. This newer version – the WindTunnel 3 – is an improvement upon the WindTunnel 2 because it uses an extra channel for suction.
This extra channel allows for both greater suction power and a better level of filtration, so you can eliminate finer dust and dirt from your carpet.
All the dirt passes through a multi-cyclonic chamber and is filtered before the air is sent back into the room.
For all the technology included in this unit, it’s available at a very fair price.
4.Miele S7280 Jazz Upright Vacuum Cleaner Review
If you haven’t heard about Miele, here’s a good vacuum to introduce you.This unit has an awesome ‘electrobrush’ that makes it great for cleaning contoured floors and carpets, which can vary in thickness.
It’s also got an auto-adjustment feature that allows it to switch suction power and height depending on the room you’re in and the type of floor that you’re cleaning.
If you don’t feel like using the auto adjustment feature, you can change the settings manually thanks to an easily accessible dial on the vacuum. This makes this unit great for cleaning all sorts of different floors.
One of the things Miele vacuums are known for is their volume. This unit is much quieter than any of the other vacuums on this page. It’s also a bit more expensive, but you’re definitely getting what you pay for.
This vacuum also makes good use of swivel-steering so you can move it around easily. The vacuum itself is thin, so you can reach under furniture easily.
So which one’s the best?
For the purpose of cleaning carpets, we’re going to choose the last entry – the Miele Jazz Upright vacuum. One of the best things about this vacuum is the fact that it has an auto adjustment feature.
This allows the vacuum to adjust depending on the thickness in various areas of your carpet, which can be almost impossible to gauge otherwise.It’s a very easy to use unit, thanks to the swivel steering, as well as the fact that it’s light.
It won’t take a lot of energy to clean large rooms, and you can also get under furniture fairly easily.Hopefully, we’ve helped you make a good decision today, and we hope you enjoy your clean carpet!